Engine freshening tips needed

Hey Everyone!
  I need some advice from you gurus out there.  While down at Roebling Road the a couple of weekends ago my 84 8V 1.8 liter mkII (dedicated track car) blew the radiator on the oil cooler.  Prior to that I had been getting a rather large amount of oil blow-by in the catch bottle.  The engine, however, was running as good as it has ever run.  When the radiator on the oil cooler blew, I did not notice it immediatly.  The engine ran with low oil pressure for 30 seconds or so.  I can replace the radiator no problemo, but I want to address whatever is causing the blow by and  I have never done anything to the internals of the bottom end of the motor.
  The first thing I did was a compression test on the car.  Compression is in the 140 to 145lbs range in cylinders 1 through 3.  It's 92lbs in cylinder 4.  So, I pulled the top end off.  The head still looks good as best I can tell.  There are no signs of obviously burnt valves etc.  The cam bearing surfaces look good.  There is some "shadowing" on a couple of the cam lobes but it is almost un-noticeable.  I haven't pulled the oil pan yet so I don't know what the rings look like, but the hone marks are still visible on the cylinder walls (this motor has about 22k on it since it was rebuilt last, the last 5-6k have been hard driven track only miles).
I expect that I have a broken ring on that number 4 piston.
  Due to the fact that I have a new baby boy, I want to try to do a "freshening" on this motor myself to save some money.  The 2.0l 16v of my dreams will have to wait a while ;-)...  I am envisioning replacing the rings and rod bearings and taking a look at the main bearings to see if they need attention.  Since the cylinder walls still show the hone marks, and don't have any lips or other obvious signs of where, I thought I would re-hone the cylinders add the rings and bearings and put it all back together again.  I am looking for any advice on things to check, dos and don'ts, whatever that you folks might have.
  I'll be dropping the oil pan this weekend and making a final evaluation of what all needs to be done so I can get the parts next week and hopefully get the car back together in time for the BMW school at VIR on the 7-9th of July.  I reckon I will need to do some breakin miles on the motor before I take it out and twist it's tail again...  If it matters, here is a list of the engine components...:
hydrolic autotech big valve head P&P and decked twice
newspeed cam (274 i believe)
1.9l pistons.
large t-body
header
ram air
remapped fuel regulator
euro curve distributor

  Sorry this got so long... As I said, I have never torn into the bottom end of a motor before, but I have the Bentley and will follow the proceedures in it.   Also, I'll need to replace the tranny seals at some point.  How much of a pain are they?  Any tip greatly appreciated.
				Thanks,
				Arthur