Re: Specs on #43.

On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 15:54:41 PDT "Jonas Karlsson" <jonas85k@hotmail.com>
writes:
> Does anyone have detailed specs on how VW built up their early
> Scirocco  (76?) Race car (#43) to make 170 hp and a top speed of
150mph. Like
> they claim in their ads from back then.
>
> Oettinger hadn't made their 16v motor yet, had they?. I'm looking
> for bore, stroke, compression, max torque and HP, as well as resp.
rpm's.

> Any other details would be nice. Fuel system, intake, exhaust,
> ignition,  etc.
>
> I'm just curious.
>
> TIA
>
> Jonas

No problem, "good" Jonas... 8^_)

It went from 71 hp to 165 hp...
A stock Scirocco was just over a 100 MPH top speed, the Trans Am Scirocco
would do 160 MPH.
Large valves were installed.
The compression was raised from 8.2:1, to 11.5:1, with both combustion
chamber modifications and new pistons.
Other than the pistons, the bottom end was stock.
They added an oversized radiator and an oil cooler.
The oil pan was changed to one with a 6 quart capacity. (I want one)
Instead of the single staged 2 barrel Solex, 2 larger Solex carburetors
were mounted on a tuned intake manifold, and fed by 2 electric fuel
pumps.

Taken from the book "Guide to the new Volkswagens" by Paul Weissler, that
Dave Ewing hooked me up with.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V