off topic, but a student needs help!

ok, well i'm the student.  at my auto technoligy class, both my instructor and myself are dumbfounded.  in the shop we have an 87 golf gl that needs front struts.  we got them out, but the problem is, after you get them compressed, how do you get the strut cartrige out?  there is a funny looking "nut" actually it is a collar with a slot on each side above the bearing.  is there a special tool to get this off?  WTF do we do?!?!?!
welll thanx for any input y'all got.  i do need info ASAP, as though i have to go back to school tomorrow and finish the job.
TIA!~
Corey