Re: exhaust downpipe/header question

>hey everyone i have another question for the list. the downpipe on my 88
>scirocco 16v has a leak. what options do i have? i wouldn't mind installing
>a header, but i haven't seen any that don't require removing the cat. what
>trouble would i run into if i removed the cat?
>
>thanks!
>ed

The 16v downpipe is basically integrated with the cat...it's welded to
the downpipe.  One of the major reasons a 16v downpipe is so expensive.

I think it's still possible to use a cat with a header, although the
integration would have to be customized somewhat.   There are several
makers of 16v headers thought...BMS, TT, Autotech (?), and Supersprint.
Probably others too.

Your downpipe can be fixed (I assume it's the flexpipe that's leaking)
as Techtonics makes a repair kit.  Requires removal and some welding
though.  Still might be worth picking up a new one...I guess they're
running around $300 right now....reasonable considering how long
they generally last actually. (8-10 years for most of us, sometimes more).

==Brett