Re: handling improvements

----Original Message Follows----
From: Kevin Collins <kcollins1@socal.rr.com>

gnz12345@oh.verio.com wrote:

 > Whats the best way to get my baby handling better, 87 Scirocco 16V.....
its
 > got a lot of miles on it (160,000) so i was thinking maybe upper strut
 > braces would help stiffen things up... other then taht i am open for
 > suggestions, rims, lowering springs etc....

Well gnz12345 (??), may I humbly suggest my setup - Bilstein Sports + H&R
Sport springs, Neuspeed upper tie bar, and Neuspeed swaybars.  The latter
two
are optional, but a great upgrade if you can handle the extra coin.  Ride
quality is firm but VERY comfortable still as a daily driver (IMHO of
course)
though if you are running anything larger than 15" wheels, that statement
may be null and void...  :D

--
Kevin Collins
'86.5 16V 2.0

I've got the Bilstein/H&R suspension, but without the Neuspeed sway bars and
it feels too tippy in the corners.  The ride is great, but I definitely will
be upgrading my swaybars in the future.  The Bilsteins have amazing damping!
  You can really get a good bounce from the stiff springs, but the Bilsteins
rapidly bring it under control.  The stock swaybars felt okay with stock
suspension, but they feel weird with the lowered suspension.  The weird part
comes from feeling so much control in the vertical direction, but so little
side-to-side control.  Brake dive is almost nil now (since the front is so
stiff), but just the one stiff spring on the inside of a turn is not enough
to control body roll.

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition