Tale of Woe: License Plate Covers

Marc Getty wrote:
> > Here is my tale of woe about license plates and license plate covers.

<snip>

T Berk wrote:
> Try finding a company selling Wiha products.
> < http://www.wihatools.com > Whoops, found their online site, (gotta
> love google.com) I have a security torx bit set from them, I got it at
> Fry's electronics. (Were you can't come with questions, and be ready to
> correct the mistakes of the staff.) Maybe the Armor Door plates folks
> will branch out to license plate frames.  :) TBerk

Thanks for the suggestion TBerk! Yes, google.com is definitely the best search
engine out there!

What I wound up doing is buying a heavy duty ~1/4" thick aluminum license plate
surrounder with cute little bevels all the way around it. I got it at a local
Pep Boys for about $9.00

I was then given by my friend some bolts and nuts that he got from his local Pep
Boys that were sold as a package specifically for license plates and license
plate covers. They are regular torx head bolts and bolts with a nylon lock nuts.
I removed the stock plastic sleeves that the screws that would normally hold
your license plate on go into, and put the lock nuts and flat washers on the
inside of the trunk.

Next, to prevent the ambitious Philadelphians who want to peel my registration
sticker off of my plate, I sliced the hell out of the sticker on my new plate,
and coated it with clear nail polish to keep out the elements for the next 12
months.

Theft proof? Nope. Highly theft resistant? Definitely! You would need to be one
highly motivated individual to get my sticker now!

-Marc

'74 VW Thing in near daily driver condition at http://getty.net/thing/
'81 VW Jetta Diesel gone to the scrap heap after 179,786 miles service
'84 VW Jetta GLi was SOLD in Oct 1999 with only 164,275 miles to NJ
'87 VW Scirocco Tornado Red 16V 181,750 miles in Philly PA since 7/2/99
       at http://getty.net/scirocco/