Re: [OT] Got my Scirocco :-)

----Original Message Follows----
From: Ryan Catucci <rcatucci@highground.com>
To: "'scirocco-L@scirocco.org'" <scirocco-L@scirocco.org>
Subject: [OT] Got my Scirocco :-)
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 15:37:14 -0400

This weekend I picked up my 'new' Scirocco.  I'd originally thought it was a
bone stock '88, but it turns out I was a bit mistaken.  It is an 86 16V with
~120k miles.  Black with the half pleather seats, power windows, power
mirrors, sunroof, decent stereo, bilstein sports with stock springs (cut a
little), steel wheels with the little half hubcaps.  It needs a new ds front
fender, as the existing one is smooshed a bit at the front, and I can't open
the hood without a second person.  It needs motor mounts, too.  Otherwise,
it runs strong, looks pretty good, and was a good deal for $1200.  All in
all, I'm very happy and really glad to be out of the ticket magnet a few
days a week ;-)  I plan on replacing the motor mounts asap; will stock ones
suffice?  I heard tt makes a better set for the front/rear.  Otherwise, I'm
gonna do nothing until the Corrado is sold and I have some $$.  Maybe then a
set of wheels and a trip to shine for springs/rear bar.

ryan
92 SLC
86 16V

Congratulations!  The hood release problem is probably the cable (unless the
fender is pushing on the hood).  On the passenger side right behind the
headlight you will find a bolt that holds tension on the cable.  Loosen the
bolt, pull tension on the cable, lock the cable with vise grips and tighten
the bolt.

Stock mounts should be fine.  The TT one for the front is a good upgrade,
but most people don't like the extra harshness from a stiff rear mount.

H&R springs will go great with your Bilsteins.  They really don't cost much.
  Do the cut stock springs bottom out?  Seems like they might cause the
bilsteins to wear out faster.

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition