Re: Clutch Problems 1981 MK1

Sound like to me you have an oily clutch surface.  I've heard of this type of
vibration when one of the friction surfaces did not get entirely cleaned
properly.  Or there was some oil on your hand(s) when you assembled it.
These spots of oil cause the clutch to be "grabby" and that translates into
vibration while trying to engage it.  Did you spray all the clutch surfaces
with a chlorinated "brake clean" product just prior to assembly?  That's the
last thing I usually do before the clutch assembly sees it's last bit of
daylight.  The cure is to disassemble the clutch and degrease everything,
examine the clutch disk, if there is no sign of oil soaking or burning you
can reuse, otherwise a new disk is in order.
Good Luck.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner