Re: testing battery drain

To check for power drain on your electrical system using a multimeter, you
must use the AMP setting on the meter.  With all systems off in the car,
disconnect the positive or negative cable from the battery (negative is
preferred for safety sake).  With the meter, you want to measure across the
battery terminal and the cable you just took off.  If you get a negative
reading, just swap the leads around from the meter.  If you get any reading
you have some sort of drain.  BTW, you will always have some sort of drain
due to radio memory, clock or engine ignition brains.  Now to find out which
circuit in your car has the particular draining device, reconnect the battery
cable, go to the fuse panel and remove a fuse one at a time.  Measure across
the contacts in the fuse panel of each fuse (if you get a negative reading,
swap the leads).   If you get any reading, that's the circuit that is
draining.  Do this for each fuse to find if you have any other power
consuming devices.  BTW, you may erase radio setting while doing this
exercise.
Good Luck.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco