synthetic oil

I am considering switching to synthetic oil for my Scirocco and 944.
Most people say the switch is definately worth it, but every now and then
I hear someone say that it isn't good to put synthetic in an engine that
has been run along time with conventional oil because the synthetic can
cause caked up grime that is stuck in the engine to come loose and clog
stuff up.

The Scirocco has about 250K miles on it, and the oil has been changed
very regularily for the past 100K that I have owned it, and the 944 has
85K and has been changed regularily, too.

Any thoughts?  And while we're at it, is it even putting the synthetic in
such a high milage VW engine?

Thanks,
B.

'82 Scirocco (a.k.a. "Fritz")