noisy cv?

After doing my clutch last weekend, i have had an annoying noise coming
from the center of the car.  Its kind of a loud metallic ticking, it
happens whenever the car is in motion, and isnt apparently affected by
steering angle.  It does change a little upon accel/deceleration, and its
noisiest at constant throttle/light load times.  It also does not make much
noise until about 20mph.  The ticking noise seems to be at a different rate
than the wheel rotation speed, which leads me to suspect a cv.
I believe it is the drivers side inner cv joint, since i had this joint all
apart to repack with grease.  I also replaced a ripped boot on the outer
joint and repacked with grease.  I dont think this joint is the problem,
since the noise doesnt change when i turn.
  The thing is, i had no problems with the joints before i took everything
apart, and if anything, i would have though it would be better since i
repacked all joints after cleaning them out.  The other thing is, i can
jack up the car and spin the wheel, and there is no obvious noises or
resistance, it feels smooth.
The only thing i can think of is that i didnt put the inner joint together
right.   I know that i didnt mark the position of the outer joint hub in
relation to the inner cage, and im sure that i didn't get the balls all
back in the same order.    Would this cause it to be noisy?  I'm pretty
sure the joint is otherwise assembled correctly, and it seemed to work just
fine before i put it back in.
  I'm thinking of just getting a new halfshaft, because this one has 100k
on it and is probably hosed anyways, but is there any chance it could be
something else thats making noise?

Eric Person
86.5 16v