Re: passenger side motor mount

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 01:05:10 GMT "Braden Sayer" <sayerbj@hotmail.com>
writes:
> Regards to replacing passenger side motor mount in 85 8V rocco: Ok
> how hard is this really?  Can I expect to be able to do it at all?
Thinking
> of getting one pre-pressed into the bracket and installing the whole
> thing, but don't want to end up with a useless car for more than a day!

> Thanks...
> Brad

It's not too bad... Especially if you have a pre-pressed mount.

Spray JB Blast on the belt tensioners, and the 2 exposed 6mm allens...
Remove the belts, remove the crank pulley, and the water pump pulley.
Remove the lower timing belt cover, (I have new ones for $7).
Then remove the 4 bolts, that hold the mount on, 2 6mm allens, 1 13mm
hex, and one stud bolt.
I use a ViseGrip on the allen bolts, and I replace them with 13mm hex
bolts.

Good time to replace the timing belt and tensioner.

The toughest part, unless your tensioners are corroded, is removing the 2
6mm allen bolts.

Oh yeah, on re-assembly, I find it easier to loosely start the mount's
through bolt.
and then bolting on the 4 bolts that secure it to the side of the engine.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V