high speed shaking

Recently I noticed my car not driving so smoothly at highway speeds.  It
runs fine, engine is great, but there seems to be a great vibration starting
around 55-60mph, steering wheel kinda goes back and forth real fast about an
inch, and I can feel the whole car vibrate and shake. Now, the car will go
straight as an arrow if I let go of the wheel (rules out alignment?)and the
tires are all good, and properly inflated.  I understand that as things wear
(bushings, ball joints, shocks, etc.) it will cause these things, but could
anyone give me the first thing to look for as I have only the time and money
to replace the important parts first? At low speeds the car is smooth and
fine, but once I speed up its becoming a real drag to drive fst to work, and
it seems to be getting worse every day.  One thing I noticed sitting in
traffic and slowly rolling down a small hill, was a small shake/jolt seemily
timed with the rotation of the wheels.  Could it be a beant rim?What is the
most common cause of these symptoms? Thanks...

Brad