help!

Ok I got my rocco back after $672 in repairs to the clutch, and the plug on
top of the tranny was left open and it seems like some hypoid splashed out.
I'm assuming that plug is for gear oil, except I can't even find mention of
it in the bentley. Its a green plastic plug on top of the tranny right to
the right of the engine. It was open and it seems like the tranny is making
noise in neutral, AND I cant get it into first at all...when I brought the
car home I only had to get it into first once, and I did, but it was
difficult. I can get it into all of the other ears easily (at least while
the car is sitting there). Is that plug for gear oil, and I cant get it into
first because the oil level is low? The bentley says there's 17mm Hex plugs
for the gear oil, and they seem to be accessed from underneath the tranny,
as seen in the picture. This plug is plastic and can be popped open by hand.
I don't understand. Anyways, whats the deal here? I can't even drive
anywhere really without first gear.

Thanks!

Duffy

86 8v