Non-Roc Tranny q's

I drove the bunny to work today! Not a rocco but, not bad just the same.
But...
1) At 55mph in 5th gear the tach is reading 3k. In the rocco its 65 in 5th
at 2200. Is this the result of a "close ratio" tranny?
2) I have driven 65 miles at the cost of 1/2 a tank of gas. The plugs
(platinum) have a better tan than I do and look OK. Adjusting the air bypass
does not alter the RPM. The PO had a wad of paper followed by a big a**
bolt. Any Ideas of what might have happened to the throttle body and why no
responce?
3) After coming down from 60MPH, the front end had a wicked shimmy. I
stopped and looked but no flat tire nor is it missing any out side weights.
Both tires on nice & tight....

I want to drive the rocco tomrrow, I miss the "long legs"...

TIA

Julie Macfarlane
'81 Scirocco (Mom)
'83 Rabid GTI (Baby)