Re: 2.0 Convserion (WHY ME!)

Jason wrote:

> I have a mechanic doing the work, and this still sucks...I feel like an
> assface....There are sooooo many diffrent descisions to make...

> Cams ? Exhaust ?

Assface??  :0

My 2.0 is getting massaged shortly, I went through the same questions.  After
talking to a LOT of people, and of course soliciting advice from the list,
I'm going to wind up with:

euro intake cam
P&P 2.0 head, by Collin Gyenes of TT
50mm intake (thanks Dirk!!)
TT high-flow cat
TT or Autotech fuel enrichment module
  (probably Autotech - Ron Wood likes 'em because he can tune 'em to the
  particular application, and he's found it worthwhile to do so)

..added to what I already have - TT 2.25" exhaust (aluminized w/Ultraflow
muffler and resonated dual-tip end that closely resembles stock), and K&N
drop-in.

One of my main goals was to hang on to all or as much of the great low end
torque the motor has in stock form.  This precluded the use of any radical
cam options.  I was leaning towards Kent 258's, then consulted Ron again,
who in turn called Jeff at Velocity.  He reported that in his testing,
*nothing* beat the euro intake cam up to 5800 rpm.  That was all I needed
to hear, that's the way for me to go.. YMMV!  The other stuff was all pretty
easy to decide to do.  I had considered the TT downpipe/cat combo, but Ron
checked with Collin and he says that it flows no better than a stock
downpipe with their highflow cat.  Nice to deal with people who would
rather give you the straight dope than just sell you something they have
to offer! (unlike that OTHER vendor who is notorious for over-selling,
uh, I think it starts with AUTOTECH??!!).

--
Kevin Collins
'86.5 16V 2.0