16v idle & mixture adjustment?

Hi,

I'm trying to get my 16v Rabbit convertible running.  I am confused
by what I'm seeing.

Brett tried to help me Friday, but we couldn't get anywhere;
apparently, the O2 sensor was bad.  So I replaced that today.

Here's what I need help with:

1) If I read Bentley right, I need to start the car and let it warm
up before trying to read the DPR mA values.  Well, I can't get the
car to hold an idle. I turn the key, it'll start, but if I'm not
giving it gas, it stalls.

Assume the timing is on; Brett adjusted that and deemed it good.  Who
are we to doubt Brett? :-)

2) When I turn the ignition on, but not start, I get a DPR mA reading
around 28 mA, fluctuating.  It wasn't fluctuating before I put the
new O2 sensor in, so I think this is progress.  If it's 28, that's
really, really lean, right?

Should I try cranking on the 3mm screw quite a bit to bring this
value down to the 5 mA range?  Or is this meaningless without the car
running and idling?

TIA.

| Jim Jarrett                      http://www2.rpa.net/~jarrett |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net                                        |