axle/wheel bearing

I am removing the axles on my rocco to change the CV boots.  I have heard
that it is bad to move the car without the axles in place...that it will
ruin the wheel bearing.  My question is once I remove the axle, will the
wheel bearing be damaged if I lower the car back down (without moving the
car)?  Should I keep the car off the ground until I get the axle back in
or can it safely rest without the axle in place?
Thanks for the help...

=====