Why my '81 16v won't start? (part 2)

>YES!!!!  This is the problem. I would suspect the wire has worn through
>somewhere and is shorting out. I'd pull a new wire to replace it. Make sure
>that the short is from this wire first though. (i.e. disconnect from both
>ends, and then test again for continuity to chassis ground.

Ok, I took some time yesterday to check this out...

I get continuity from D15 on the fuse box to T14/4 (at the instrument
cluster), meaning signal gets from the fuse box to the instrument cluster
(tach), BUT that circuit has NO continuity with chassis ground.

I now know my problem lies in the fuel pump relay.

When I turn the ignition on, the fuel pump is supposed to prime. It doesn't.
However, if I remove power from coil terminal #15 (which also disconnects
power from the CIS-E computers), the fuel pump primes.

Yeah, really screwed up.

Now (Brian), correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I have to have terminal 10
of the knock box hooked up to the solenoid of the fuel pump relay? I know
this is the rev limiter, but in the Jetta Bentley that wire is the only
thing grounding the fuel pump relay.

In the Scirocco CIS system, terminal 1 of the coil goes to both the fuel
pump relay and tach, but in the Jetta terminal 1 goes only to the tach,
while that knock box terminal 10 goes to the fuel pump relay.

When I turn the ignition to start, the fuel pump relay does not kick on and
give the engine any fuel.

I'm eyeing that odd problem where the fuel pump relay primes when power is
disconnected as a possible culprit.

This is a mad weird electrical problem, I know.. i just wanna have this
licked soon, so maybe I can hit up some VW shows this summer and see what
that's all about.

Thanks for your help, everyone...