About that TV SHOW on A&E... (kinda long)

Yo,

    I certainly think that a documentary on street drags was long overdue.  I
know that in the Portland area (or at least a few years ago when I was
interested) there is a reasonably big street drag scene.  There basically are
2 different groups of guys that go out and race.

    The bigger group meets (or met) in a HomeBase parking lot.  They consist
of dozens of Buttrockers and thier big V8 cars and a few various and sundry
imports (Z-cars, older RX-7's, etc).  They would usually assemble around
11:00pm Fridays and Saturdays during the summer until departing to various
undisclosed locations to get it on.

    The smaller group consists of the "import" guys, which means primarily 3
diffferent makes of cars:  Honda, Mitsubishi (Eclispes), and VWs.  They would
usually meet in the downtown area and depart from there.  I found this group
MUCH more interesting.....  and more clever.

    It seemed that the Buttrockers and Co. never got innovative as far as
where they should choose to race next.  It was always (at least when I went)
the same stupid 6 or 7 spots that ALWAYS got them picked by the blue and red
after 10 minutes or so.  The "import" dorks always seemed to find better and
more secluded spots at which to race.  Thus there were allot more occasions
with them that we would race for a good 30-45 minutes before calling it
quits.  I'd say we were ran off by cops maybe 50-60% with them as opposed to
99.9% with the other group.

    I had my Corrado when I would spend my Fridays and Saturdays watching the
drags.  I think I may have ran two or three times, two of which were
successful, but never had made many mods to my car.  So I was, for the very
most part, a spectator.
    Very very dangerous, but at least the import retards always found
secluded spots to run at (and people always stand behind the dragging cars,
not all along the strip!).  I remember there was this Civic that was owned by
this Abercrombie wearing fat slob (which the "Mike P." guy who owned the
white Civic in the show was VERY VERY reminiscent of) had easily 20-25K
dumped into it.  And it was pretty fast.  But my buddy at the time had a well
running 16v Scirocco.  He ran way more than I did, and I enjoyed watching
him...  his prey was usually CRXs, older Preludes and such.  Easy 16v
Scirocco food! :)  There were a few times where he would run against
GS-Rs(unmodified), and usually would nose ahead of them.  But the little
unmodified poser Hondas were much more fun!!  :)

    Anyway, he actually ran against that black Civic one night.  It was
sporting a carbon fiber hood, a GS-R 1800 motor, nice 17 inch rims on the
back with donuts on the front, and most importantly, lost of stickers!!  My
friend didn't lose by but maybe a car length!  A $3500 VW versus 1000's and
1000's in that Civic!

    At any rate, that show was very interesting, and I liked how they
profiled those two guys, both of whom I think are very sad...  the "Mike P."
who lives with his Mom so he can dedicate his entire paychecks to souping his
car, and even worse, the fat Italian guy, his supposed adversary whose sole
aspiration is to beat "Mike P." in a drag race.  I mean, I love my Scirocco,
but that is a very enjoyable hobby...

...NOT MY WHOLE DAMN LIFE!!

Just my .02

Ben