(non roc) dead GLI (long)

List,

So i started up my '84 1.8, 8v GLI last week to go to work.  It was about 20
below out, but it started.  It was running like s**t, it sounded like it was
running on one or two cylenders.  I let it idle for about 20 min, it still
was running like shit, but it would get a little bit better when i was
moving. by the time i got to work, it was running good, but it would idle at
about 600rpm and the oil light would flash.  when i tried to come home, it
sounded like 2 cyl running again, but started to loose power.  It got to the
point to where it will idele like crap, but when you give it gas, it cuts
out.  I cleaned the plugs, which are fairly new, checked the cap rotor, and
wires.  checked fuel filter under hood, and checked compression (was not the
best but still ok (180k on engine)).  all didn't fix.  What gets me is that
the day before all of this, when i parked it, it was running fine???  now it
doesn't WTF?!  any help will be greatly appreciated.  I hope this is nothing
major, because the rest of the car is mint, and i would like to avoid having
anoter parts car!  TIA

Jason Arms

'87 Scirocco 16v (hibernating)
'64 Sunroof Beetle (livin a new life)(hibernating)
'84 Rabbit GTI
'84 Jetta GLI (the skimobile)
'84 Jetta GLI (parts car)everything is for sale!