Re: cold electric problems?

> Casey Webster wrote:
>
> Anyone ever have these problems on their mk2 when it's
> cold........-21C on the MFA here in Barrie Ontario tonight.
<snip>
>   All of these things worked this
> afternoon, so it must just be the cold.  Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> BTW  I have only had this car since monday, but everything has worked
> fine until today.
>
> Casey

I'd get a volts/Ohm meter and keep it handy. It sounds like a combo of
corrosion on switch contacts (normal for a car this age operating in an
Ox/N atmosphere) AND problems with a lack of available voltage (current
i really mean).

Measure the voltage available when conditions are the same and i think
you will see what i mean. Often the cig lighter socket is a good place
to get a base reading while you are in the car.

Cleaning the switches (contact cleaner), reconditioning the contacts
(dialect grease and mechanical reconnection), and a bigger (90 amp)
Alternator would be a good start. Increasing the size of your main power
cables to 4 or 2 gauge wouldn't hurt.

Keep in mind that cars pull from the battery as needed. And batteries do
worse in the cold. See were I'm going?

TBerk