Relay gurus - what's up with my car?

So I'm trying to get power to my cold start valve, and from what Mr. Bentley
tells me, the valve gets power from the hot start pulse relay, which is
supposedly located above the relay/fuse panel.  I don' t see the hot start
pulse relay on or above the panel.  I do see a mess back there, but that's
another issue entirely.

Bentley says the relay can be identified by the part number and the fact
that it has 3 wires.  I don't seem to have this relay.  I have a socket for
a relay that is open, however.  It's somehow attached above the top left
corner of the panel.  The slots are numbered 1-9, and there are terminals at
2, 4, 6, and 8.  Bentley doesn't show a panel that looks quite like mine,
but I'm sure that if the PO had tried to swap it with a different one, the
car would never again be capable of running, and there would be a much
bigger mess down there.

Can anyone tell me what relay is supposed to fit in that socket?  Is it the
hot start pulse relay?  If not, where does it go?

TIA!
Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!
'70 Bug - hibernating