Re: thermo-time switch location on 8V

My mistake I thought for some reason that you had a 16V. Now that you
mention exactly what the switch is you are correct. You must have an 8V.
Your statement in the beginning is exactly correct. This switch turns on the
computer and O2 sensor system. You should notice some major improvements in
driveability when the car is warm. Don't forget to check your timing and
fuel mixture as soon as possible 'cause not having this connected is going
to change the duty cycle parameters of the frequncy valve. Set the timing to
the exact mark and set the mixture. Then when all is set you can advance
(mark towards the front of the car with respect to the pointer) a few
degrees for more performance. Flywheel turns to the front of thee car. If
you are looking at it from the drivers fender it is turning
counterclockwise. HTH

>On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Chris DeLong wrote:
>
> > This sender is your coolant temperatur sender for the computer.
>
>The official name, as I figured out tonight, is the OXS thermoswitch, and
>it's supposed to be connected (as mine wasn't).
>
> > If this is not hooked up it will cause the engine to run VERY poorly! I
> > think it has a blue plug connected to it. The sender I think is white,
> > correct? Not having this connected will make you think you are driving
> > an underpowered lawn tractor in 2 feet of grass.
>
>I don't think it was that bad, but the mileage has been relatively poor
>(compared to figures people have quoted for their own cars); I'm getting
>around 19 mpg since getting the car. If this doesn't help, I may replace
>the oxygen sensor, and if that doesn't help I may look into whether the
>catalytic convertor is in good health (should check it anyway).
>
>Anyway, tonight I went tracing through the cabling harnesses, and found,
>dangling behind my tranny, the connectors for the thermoswitch, with the
>right coloured wires and everything. Hooked 'em up so hopefully I'll see
>some differences.
>
>Driving home tonight, it seemed smoother, but that could be because I
>adjusted my ignition timing. Before adjustment the timing mark on the
>flywheel was about 5 degrees to the right of marker on the bell housing of
>the tranny; was it igniting too early or too late (I'm not sure which
>direction the flywheel turns)?
>
>Thanks!
>Oliver
>
>Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software,
>http://www.pivotal.com
>     Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html
>

>--

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag
'82 GLI (now with a happy shaved, solenoid operated trunk)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco