Re: 78/81 comparison?

chris wrote:

> i had an 81 that was totaled and im looking into buying a 78 but i was
> wondering how easy or if possible to bolt on intake manifold and headers,
> and  how difficult it is to put the electronic ignition from my 81 into the
> 78? and also my 5spd tranny how difficult is that to switch?
> chris
>
> ____________________________________

This is easy-

1. No Problem.
2. No Problem.
3. No Problem.

1. The car won't know it's a 78 for the intake or exhaust manifolds.
(For the most part, since i am slightly ignoring antismog piping and
such.) I figure the bolt on part is same same.

2. Electronic ignition is an easy update. Keep in mind the early cars w/
points have a resistive wire from the fuse box to the coil. Often it is
colored violet/white. Clipping it short to the fuse box, leaving enough
to grip onto, and replacing it with standard copper wire will get around
it. Mounting the O2 sensor brain & ECU for the point-less dist. (I kill
myself sometimes), can be fun but not difficult.

3. The 5 speed linkage has a few different parts like the arm on the
bottom of the vertical shaft, near the firewall. It is slightly
different compared to the 4 sp version. Also the rod from said vert.
shat to the Trans is slightly different in length. [Note- one end is NOT
90 degrees.] Perhaps the motor mounts might be different on the trans
but what the hey.

I can prob cough up a diagram for you about grafting the electricals if
you'd like, I did half of it a few months and need to finish off the
rest before the end of Jan. Smog don'tcha know.

hth,
TBerk