Re: Speedo cable chattering in cold

> Now that the temperatures are cold again, my speedo cable is once again
> making its god-awful chattering noises at all speeds above 45 mph.  I
> was wondering if this is a natural occurence in Sciroccos, just as
> teeth-chattering is in humans?  In any case, I really can't stand it
> anymore as it's so loud that it even drowns out the normally
> ear-shattering volume I keep my stereo set at.  Why does this happen?
> Does some kind of outer sleeve shrink due to the cold and rub against
> the inner cable?
>
> If anybody knows how to solve this problem (new speedo cable???) please
> let me know.

well,

I've been having a similar if not identical problem ever since it got
colder in early November or so...

I'll start up the car in the morning, be driving down a straight stretch
at 30mph, and hear a "click click click click click click click click"
proportional to wheel speed coming from the instrument cluster or the
speedo cable, not sure which. If I turn off the engine in neutral its
still there. Its irritating but gets a little quieter later in the day
after more driving. Not sure why, maybe I'm going progressively more deaf
from my exhaust leak (damn, I've GOT to fix that)...

Its not really that loud but I can definately hear it over my exhaust so
maybe its louder than I think. I usually have my stereo on when I'm
cruising around but in the morning I usually forget the faceplate so I
just listen to the engine purr (or growl in my case)...

I'm ready to go buy a $25 speedo cable to remedy the problem, but I think
I'm going to get the one-piece kind so I can toss that OXS counter box
that looks like it came out of an early spacecraft from the 50's.

-Toby

--
'87 Flash Silver Metallic Scirocco 16V