starter won't stop (sometimes)

Went out for lunch today and on the way back heard an unusual noise, sounded
like a grinding kinda noise. Got back to work turned the engine off, took my
key out and the noise was still going - the friggin' starter was running!
put my key back in and slightly turned it and the car cranked over, turned
it off again and pulled the key and the starter was still running.  Got out
and pulled the negative cable off to stop it, let it sit for a while, called
the mechanic who installed my TT stainless cat back system yesterday w/ new
fron tmotor mount, and asked if he noticed anything, 'nope'
went back to the car hooked the battery back up, started the car, turned off
the engine, no noise.  Drove home, no problem either.

What on earth could have happened?

tia
Ian