RE: Power Windoze an' Lawks

I just finished an UNGO alarm install a couple months ago, and it isn't
likely that I'll ever do it again, at least as long as there is a install
shop that I trust. Everything turned out great in the end, but the car sat
for over a week, and I worked on it almost every evening after work for at
least an hour or two (some days more). I'm usually pretty comfortable around
electrical wiring, too.

Deciphering all the Bentley wiring diagrams (which are a little wierd) and
weeding through the mess behind the fuse panel is a major PITA. The actual
time spent cutting and splicing wasn't all that much, but I double- and
tripple-checked every wire before cutting into it, especially with the
ignition circuits. I did NOT want to end up cutting the wrong wires! I also
tested each trigger/sensor after wiring it. It took a long time, but not as
long as it would have taken to troubleshoot all the wires at once.

My car has factory locks and windows, BTW, and I added keyless entry to the
driver's door, which triggers the factory system to make it all work
together (very nice!). Adding the actuator turned out to be the easiest part
of the whole project!

As I said, I'm glad I did it, and I guess I saved some money, but if I had
only known what I was in for...

If you have the time and inclination, it can be done (it isn't rocket
science), but TAKE YOUR TIME and DO IT RIGHT. It isn't worth the risk of
messing up your wiring or creating a short circuit! I've seen too many cars
with screwed-up wiring 'cause the owner decided to slack-off. The only thing
that made it all worth while was knowing that, in the end, I didn't make any
mistakes and that everything was done /just right/.

Neal
88 16v