Rear fog light thread

Sorry to bring this one back... I just did the mod (cut).  About the cheapest
"euro-spec" thing we can do?  especially nice how VW printed "USA" on the
plastic to be removed.
My question is this:  How bright are these things supposed to be?  I put the
brightest small sized bulb my local hillbilly hardware had to offer ($1.79
for 2), but it is only slightly brighter than the stock lights.  What is the
bulb number (or US equiv.) for the "rear fog."  And is the purpose of these
lights to penetrate nasty weather on high speed roads so some Porshe doing
250 kph doesn't mistake you for a thick patch of fog?
Thanks for any (old thread) info
Ben