Another Air flow meter question

Hey all,

I've been fighting with a drop in power at certain rpms for a while now.  I
think I have it down to either the air flow meter sensor (CIS-E) or
something with the fuel pressure (I know I know, one of the FIRST things you
check!!).  Does anyone know if the air flow meter sensor does anything with
the fuel or mixture thereof at higher rpms or atleast not at idle only?  All
the manuals I have checked for this tells what it does (senses the air flow
meter action) but not what it DOES!!  ANY help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!!!

Dave