Re: air flow sensor question

> > > be careful with VWP, they have occasional errors
> > in
> > > them - i have several issues with blatantly
> > incorrect
> > > technical data.
> > >
> > Granted, this very well could be.  Here's what
> they
> > had to
> > say in the March / April 1982 VW & Porsche article
> > about
> > the new '82 Scirocco:
> >
> > "There have been a number of changes in the fuel
> > injection
> > system.  For instance, the diameter of the sensor
> > plate has
> > increased from 60 to 80mm.  This brings much
> larger
> > air
> > metering forces into play and should improve
> > throttle
> > response."
> >
> > I'm not sayin' that they're right or wrong, it
> very
> > well
> > could have been a mid-year thing.
> >
> > Oh fwiw, I had an '82 a couple years ago, and I'm
> > pretty
> > sure it had the 80mm plate.  :)
>
> I've never seen an '82.

Actually, that may be correct. I don't really know for
sure. It certainly makes a liar out of somebody. Since
the motors have the same power rating, it makes liars
out of those that say the 80mm is better than the 60mm
by 5hp. Or it makes the factory a liar by saying the
rating was the same (I know the 1981 Sciroccos had the
60mm for sure). or it makes me a liar (hehe). My 1982
has the 80mm, I assumed that the PO had a fuel
distributor go bad. I knew that the head had been
rebuilt and that the car appeared to be  100% stock
when I bought it. So maybe the mechanic pulled an 80mm
from the parts bin when they did the work. i don't
know.

how's that for a definative answer?

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM