Re: air flow sensor question

--- Brian C Barrows <ferret100@juno.com> wrote:
> Just out of curosity, what size air flow sensor is
> my '82 supposed to
> have?

60mm

  I have read in several different places that
> all 1.7's came with > the 60mm, but mine has the
80mm.

I think VW switched back to 80mm with the 1983.5 1.8

This is an easy and common way to get 5hp.

  It's entirely > possible that the sensor
> was switched over from a GTi since so much of this
> car is not "original"
> (like, say, the right side is from a red Scirocco,
> and the front end from
> a black one.

The rear suspension is from a later > one that had the
> factory swaybar holes.

==All 1981 & up U.S. Sciroccos are set up for the rear
sway bar with the holes pre-drilled.

  Rear hatch with a larger
> spoiler...

Definately not original!

 Imagine my
> surprise when I figured this all out!) and when I
> replaced the fuel
> filter, none of the filters for an '82 even fit, but
> the A1 GTi did.

Parts suppliers seemingly always get the wrong number.
My cars use the Bosch 020. This is not what's in their
catalog.

HTH

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM