[mkII] high-pitched engine noise

Hi all -- back again with more questions (hopefully I'll actually be able
to contribute some answers some day when I actually know what I'm doing)

I've noticed a high-pitched buzzing (the best description I have is that
it sounds like an electrical discharge, but continuous) around the area of
fuel distributor. This is about as close as I can ascertain right now; the
general noisiness of the engine right now makes it difficult to pinpoint
it (especially as it is high-pitched). Now I don't think the fuel
distributor itself is at fault, but this is also the general area of the
battery and fuel filter (I'll be replacing that soon; can a fuel filter
make noise?)

Any ideas of what might be causing this? I can't imagine that it's a
normal engine noise, but maybe not. The engine runs a bit rough (as far as
I'm concerned) and seems to be getting a bit poor mileage (around 20 mpg
but I haven't had it long enough to be sure).

Thanks in advance -- all the help I've gotten so far has been really great
and is much appreciated.

-Oliver

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com
    Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html