better AC and lighting.

Ryan wrote:
>ok now onto mk1's...i got the 1.7l with big ass square
>sucky ac compressor and alternator below it. Can i gank
>all that crap and install the alt/bracket from a 1.8l 8v?

Hey there Ryan,

About 2 years ago I got from a local wrecking yard:
1. 90A Alternator
2. AC compressor
3. both lines from inside the car to (A) the smaller AC compressor
    and (B) the AC radiator thingy (I think it is called the condensor)
4. All related mounting brackets
5. All related pulleys

All this came from an 89 Cabriolet. I believe any A1/A2 8V setup will
work though. The only bracket I had to customize is the one from the
top of the head to the Alt. otherwise it was a direct bolt in.

This setup is much nicer because the compressor is smaller,
lighter, sits below the Alt. and allows enough room to run an
air/oil cooler on the car.

>also whats a good light upgrade for the dual round mk1 lights?

Hella H4 for outer Hi/Lo with 55/100W (or 80/130W) and for the
inner brights either H1's with 100W (or 130W) or my personal
favorites KC Daylighter 150W sealed pencil beams. (just watch
out for reflectorized road signs, they will blind you for a few seconds.)
If you use the KC's to blink at oncoming drives, be prepared to
swerve into the ditch when they blindly drift into your lane.
And if you blind a Cop your on your own, Jail time?

Oh yeah, run inline fuses (or fuse block) and relays for all the upgraded
lighting otherwise you just wasted a lot of $$.
If you go brighter than 100W for the inner brights, run custom wiring of
appropriate guage.

Hope this helps,

Randy B.
Cosmos 81 Scirocco S - 2.0L 16V
(under the knife OSP car)
Mars 81 Scirocco S - t t 1847cc
(my new CSP car until the other is done)