Re: JH combo

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 23:32:56 EST VeeWdriver@aol.com writes:
>Well, as far as the bigger pistons go, I was going to get some 83mm
9.0:1
>pistons, not just bigger pistons.

I misunderstood. I thought you were going to try and keep the CR down for
future use with a supercharger? Right? I know you can get oversize
pistons with the stock CR rating. If your gonna go with a higher CR
piston, why get 9.0:1? Why not go at least 10:1? Shave the head for
10.6:1. Compression means power.

>Looks like I will be going with the 2" Techtonics system with their
Hi-Flow cat.

Good call, the 2" system is much better for the 1.8L. I don't think it
matters much WHO makes it, aslong as its 2" and mandrel bent, it will
work the same.

>From what I've seen and read,
>those pistons with the G-grind and the other mods I mentioned should
>be good for about 135-140HP.  Not too shabby for a Mk 1 Scirocco.
>

>Tom

I think the high end of the spectrum would net 125hp at the crank. Ive
dome most of those mods to my motor, .40 over pistons 1825cc (8.5:1. FSP
rules ect.) balanced bottom end, lightened flywheel, shaved head, port
matched intake/exhaust/head. Eurosport 2" system NO CAT, Eurosport
downpipe, dual outlet manifold, Euro distributor, Nology wires/coil amp
(Not that they are worth a crap.) and a few other little FSP legal mods
that ive come up with to get the most out of the FI motor. I figure that
I have around 125-130hp to the crank.

A certain somebody misplaced my G-meter pro so I cant get any rough data
and its going to be a while til I see a dyno.

Anyway, for you to get 135 -140hp I think you will need to increase the
compression ratio to 11:1 or higher. The G-grind will help some but it
just seems that on paper, its not enough of a difference to see a 10-15hp
increase over what ive already done.

Naturally, I really don't have any hard core dyno facts to back up
anything I say here, just my opinion. The only previous dyno runs with
the car was with the motors stock bore and the bottom end not done ect, I
had 117hp to the crank. (and a FU FI system.) My recent rebuild feels to
the seat of the pants that it definitely does have more power, but
probably not more than 10hp  +/- 5.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and