Re: 90 to 100mm cv conversion help

>I have done this swap. (90 to 100mm).

Me too.

I ended up using later model Cabriolet
>hub carriers due to the interference problem with the larger shoulder of
>the
>100mm CV.  The 1981 hub carriers I had would not permit the use of the
>larger
>joint without locking up.  It just wouldn't work.

I used my stock '80 Rabbit housings and '85 Scirocco axles (100mm)
They did lock up upon first tightening. I then drove around the block with
the axles slightly loosened up. Then I tightened them all the way down. This
rabbit was stock and I bought it from the original owner who I know for sure
didnt change the hubs.

>Later, I read the Bentley manual for the 85-93 A1s (Cabriolet and
>Scirocco),
>and lo and behold, there on Page 10-13, is a reference to the increased
>shoulder diameter of the later CVs causing interference problems.
>
>According to Bentley, the newer CV requires a new design retainer CIRCLIP.
>YOU MAY BE RIGHT about the hub carriers being the same (I really never
>checked part numbers), but the CIRCLIP is certainly different, and may be
>all
>that is needed for clearance.

It IS possible that the PO had had wheel bearings done to the car and the
clips were replaced by the dealer and the only clips that the dealer had
were the updated style.

>As I didn't TRY just the circlip swap, I wouldn't swear that just swapping
>the later model circlip is all that is needed for clearance. I do know that
>swapping out the entire carrier worked...
>
>Larger brakes have nothing whatsoever to do with this, as the Scirocco 16V
>calipers have identical mounting points...
>
>The common misconception about upgrading CV joints to 100mm is that you can
>simply put a 100mm CV on a 90mm axle and vice versa.  While you *can* put
>the
>90mm outers on the 100mm splined axles-- you will end up with about 1/8" of
>slop on the longer splines. The 100mm CVs are THICKER as well as larger
>diameter.  If you try to put a 100mm inner joint on the 90mm splines, you
>will not be able to fit a retainer clip.

I definitely agree with you here. Has anyone tried using a Type II CV joint
for an inner with 100mm flanges on a 90mm axle? Just curious.

>The current issue of European Car Magazine has a reprint of the "VW Engine
>Swap Guide" where James Sly incorrectly states that you can successfully
>mix
>the 90mm and 100mm joints on the same axle--- but take my word for it on
>THIS
>one- he is wrong. (I've written EC and I'm awaiting their reply).

Good for you!!

>Thanks for the letter, you forced me to rethink, and again research the
>reason WHY the larger CVs locked up-- I've already done the swap, but if
>you
>are correct in your statement about the hub carriers being identical, that
>information could conceivably save someone else from the added expense and
>trouble of swapping to later model hub carriers.

Glad I made you think. Thanks for making me think! This list is the shit!!

>P.S.-- There is one possible caveat: VW may only list one part number for
>replacement carriers as a later (100mm) carrier WOULD also fit the earlier
>(90mm) cars-- it could simply be a case of a superceded part.

Always a possibility ;)

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag
'80 Rocco (new!)
'82 GLI (now with a happy shaved, solenoid operated trunk)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco