Re: 90 to 100mm cv conversion help

"Ryan Schuermann"<rts@nol.net> writes:
> ok..car is an 81s, tranny is out of an 87 16v. I need
> to go from 90mm flange to 100mm to match up to the tranny.
> whats the best way to do this? can i just order 100mm
> inner cv joints and install them on the existing axels?
My buddy Dan, "BFDEIHL", tried doing that and they would not fit
properly, if you still want to try it, I think he has the 2 100mm inners
for sale. 8^)

>or
> should i pick up a set of complete 16v axels w/ cv joints?
The complete axle is the way to go, I have 2 new rebuilt 100mm A1 axles
for sale, $150, with no core charge, but they might be sold, I'm waiting
to hear back from him.

> will a 16v axel shaft mate up to my 81's hubs or whatever?
Not without clearancing the wheelbearing housings, there is interference
between the outer c.v. and the wheelbearing housing, I tried using the
regular wheel bearing housings and I can tell you for fact it will not
work.
The easiest way is to get 2 wheelbearing housings from an '85 and up
Scirocco or Cabriolet.
Let me know if you can't find them, I have a set around here somewhere...

> i'm going to putting a lot of power to these axels so i'm
> kinda looking for the beefiest setup, as long as were not
> talking thousands of dollars.
>
> Ryan
100mm axles are the way to go...

Btw,  this is the ideal time to replace the wheel  bearing and the $5
splash shield.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car, will be 100mm soon
'80 Scirocco
'88 Scirocco 16V
'83 GTI, daily driver, 100mm

                      To reply to the Scirocco list click here:
<mailto:thescirocco@juno.com,scirocco-l@scirocco.org>