Dying Rocco (gas problems)

Hey y'all,
I juts got back from a semi-vacation with its strings of disasters.

It seems however, that this string is following me here back home.

My 84 rocco doesn't wanna maintain an idle nor keep running. I'll start her
up she'll run for a sec and then just die!

The gas tank was nearly empty so I had gone to the station to fill her up
and I think that I pretty much ran out of fuel by the time I got there
since she no longer wnated to start. I managed to push the car myself and
filled her up up with gas. So there's now gas in the car.

Question: when the car runs out of gas, what are the consequences? Do I
need to let the car run for a while prior to feeling secure with the car?
What did I do to the car? Damage to the fuel pump, fuel filter, clogged
injectors, wrecked car? Please educate me on this matter....what did I do
to my poor rocco!!!!!!!!!!

TIA
Sal
(distraught and in despair)