Re: [mk2] exhaust manifold

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000 00:58:37 -0500 "Foxx (in a box)"
<foxxinabox@core.com> writes:
>   is it possible to shave an exhaust manifold? i seem to have some
> noise coming from the manifold area. i already replaced the gaskets
> (helped a little bit), the donut gasket, and pipes back to the cat and
cat back
> (need a new cat, but the noise is coming from up front). i haven't
> checked yet for a cracked manifold so that could be it. is it
> possible that these things become warped over time and age (190k)?
would it just be easier, cheaper to buy a new one? thanx.

What exhaust system do you have? Most aftermarket exhaust systems don't
work well with the 4 into 1 manifold that you have.
I would install a Mk 1 4 into 2 exhaust manifold and do away with the
toilet bowl exhaust manifold.
If you decide to stick with the 4 into 1 manifold, the good news is that
they are cheap, because nobody wants them.

For sale:

A1 early diesel 4 into 2 exhaust manifold in good condition, $50.
The other parts needed; oem dual downpipe in good ondition, $30, and flex
pipe in good condition, $20.
Or a new Techtonics downpipe w/O2 fitting, $115.

'82 and up, 4 into 1, AKA toilet bowl exhaust manifold in good condition,
$25.
Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'80 Scirocco
'88 Scirocco 16V
'83 GTI, daily driver

              To reply to the Scirocco list click here:
<mailto:thescirocco@juno.com,scirocco-l@scirocco.org>