Re: Oil spraying everywhere!!!!

>David M Brown wrote:
> >
> > I Jumped in my 87 16v rocc this moring heading to work. Half way there
> > the oil light came on. I could smell oil!  It beeped the next 4 miles
> > to work. When I got there it was just in time.  I looked around and
> > there is no oil on the block really. It seems to be covering my oil
> > pan and possibly my oil filter.  Someone said I may have blown a seal
> > on my oil filter which happens. (or cracked a seem in my oil filter)
> >
> > Has anyone had this happen to them?
> >
> >  Any other suggestions?
> >
> > I am going to replace the filter tomorrow and start there.
> >

>You drove 4 miles with the oil light on!!!!? Your be lucky if the damn
>thing starts again, never mind leaks. I'm betting it will start smoking
>like George Burns before you know it.
>
>Feenix
>80 1.8

You'd think so, but this just happened to my wife in our Passat 2L 16v.
All the oil blew out of the engine (via a mis-applied valve cover cap),
and she drove it that way for at least 6 miles...oil light flashing,
buzzer going off...all that.  I could hear the car coming up the
street with the lifters banging away like drum sticks snapping. It
looked pretty bad, and I thought for sure it was going to be fried. So
I filled up the car with oil (same that was in it, Castrol GTX 10w40)
and it took 2 quarts before it even registered on the dip stick.  Anyway,
it started right up...no smoke.  Took 15 minutes for the lifters to
quiet down..still no smoke.  Here's the kicker, it hasn't run this
smooth in recent memory.  No joking, it's a quieter motor, and runs
smoother.  Has no feelable loss in power either, frankly, I'm amazed.  I
do believe this rings have seated again, and the motor has almost
120 thousand miles on it!

==Brett