Re: draining manual transmission

Ok... listen up...  you need a 17mm allen wrench to remove the drain and
fill plugs.  Or, be a cheap bastard (like me) and put a set of vise grips on
an old lug bolt.  You might need to grind a flat spot on the threads, but if
you use good sharp vise grips and make them tight the first time, you should
be ok.

Drive the car around so it's plenty warm, as the warm gear lube will drain
quicker.  Then pull the bottom plug.  Go have a beer, give it plenty of time
to drain so you get as much of the dino juice out as possible.

Some people pull the speedo cable and dump the new fluid in there, but I
don't like that method, too much chance of shit falling into the hole (dirt
from around the edge, etc).  The fill plug is accessible through the
driver's wheelwell.  Put the drain plug back in nice and tight.  I usually
put a jack under the driver's side of the vehicle, jack it up and remove the
driver's front tire.  This will give you more working room and also give you
more of a downhill run at the fill plug.  Use a long funnel and dump the new
fluid in, replace plug and tire and yer done.

My fluid recommendation - Redline MTL.  It is god's gift to VW trannies.
'nough said

John

lots of stuff
http://www.prod.net/jvanvuren/vw.htm