Re: Knock sensor problem ? non-Scirocco

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:24:14 -0800 "Randy B" <scirokn81@email.msn.com>
writes:

>Sorry about the non-Scirocco post but thought
>it might be relevant to Scirocco's as well
>When I advanced the timing on the 1.8L 8V RD
>motor in my 87 Jetta GLI to more than the factory
>6deg. I got terrible pinging. :( This is a factory stock
>un-modified car.
>I thought the whole idea of the knock sensor was
>to prevent pre-detonation from happening.
>Could this be a problem in the system I have, or
>is this normal.
>Thanks,
>-Randy

The knock sensor can only retard the ignition so far. if you adjust the
timming out of the range of the KS, you can get knocking. Also, if you
use low octane fuel with more advance than stock, this happens too.

I run 8 degrees advance on my GLi and use the cheap, low octane fuel most
of the time. it doesnt ping normally, but when it gets warm or hot out, I
have to switch to the 89 octane (when its in the 90's) or 91 octane fuel
(when its above the 100's) to control the knock.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and