Re: Steering Column Bearings

--- HuMpnYoMoM@aol.com wrote:
> Is changing the bearings in my steering column a
> hard job? There is some kind
> of retainer or something that fell down the steering
> column under the dash,
> by the fuse box. I guess this means I need new
> bearings. The column is making
> noises too.

If it's just the bottom bearing that "fell" down - you
may be in luck!

There is a simple fix. Put your head down there (bring
a light) and look to see if there is the round bearing
thing hangly loosely around the bottom of the shaft
(above the U joint). If so, try this:

You'll need a screw type hose clamp to match the
diameter of the bottom of the steering shaft. You can
then push the bearing back up into the steering column
tube. Secure the hose clamp immediately below the
bearing to hold it in place.

Voila, it's like new!

HTH

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)