16v Intermittent Engine Probs

Hey there all -

	My 16v seems to have solved it's leaking problem by itself.
The only way I can figure that the puddle got in back of the driver's
seat (and mildewed the hell out of my carpets) is that I slammed the
seatbelt in the door or something and it rained hard, and it all ran
to that rear corner because my driveway is sloped. Got me.... it's
been pouring like nuts for the last week and it's dry as a bone in
there now and I haven't done a thing. I love it when problems go
away...
	Unfortunately, this other one hasn't been going away. I've
got a really funky thing happening with my engine on start. Sometimes
the car will start and run fine (a little rough while it's cold, but
rips when it warms up). About 25% of the time, I'll start it and the
engine sounds like it's missing like hell, runs so rough it will
barely move, but doesn't die. If I turn the car off and restart it,
90% of the time it will go away and things will be fine again until
the next time it happens. I've got new spark plugs, new wires, a new
idle stabilizer, and I've been hitting all the electrical contacts
with WD-40 like once a week or so. If I unplug the knock sensor when
it's running like sh*t, nothing seems to change, even if I plug it
in, bend it, whatever. Got me.... if I just turn the car off and
start it again, it goes away most of the time. (It will happen when
the car is hot too, so it's not limited to the cold start systems...)
	The other problem I've got (which may or may not be related)
is that occasionally (sometimes when the car is running like sh*t and
sometimes not), I'll start the car and the tach will jump to some
ridiculous number (like it will be at 1100 and it will read 7-8000 or
something crazy. If I shut her down and start it up again, most of
the time it goes away. Any ideas? It's really starting to piss me off.
	When the car is hot, it's screaming like a banshee - great
pull on the engine (probably helped by the hole I have in my downpipe
flex joint which will be swapped for a TT high-flow and cat-back this
week). It's just these random problems....argh. Any ideas?

				Ben Patterson, 86' 16v
Ben Patterson 				Cell  - 650.274.7525
Networking/Macintosh			LiNCS - 650.725.4630
Systems Engineer			Email: bpatterson@stanford.edu
CRC-LiNCS/ITSS				Stanford University

"Try to remember there is no spoon..."
					- The Matrix