Re: Quaife Question

putting the quaife i in is not the tough part, it is reassembling the gears, my shop charges 14 hours to pu it in and take the tranny out, you would also at that point want to get a bolt kit for the quiafe, and you can also think of another final drive if you really want to change things around...once again the installation is not to difficult but i would grab some riope to hold the gears in the same place you took them off at and also a gear puller..
that is my nickel adn dimes worth
jonas

Craig Williams wrote:

  Hey Everyone.

Well, I'm building a 2.0 16V that looks like it will be putting out about
180 HP in my 1981 SciroccoS. Since I'm going to have a bunch more power, I've been considering a Quaife for my 16V tranny. I know these things are about $1100, and I was thinking that since I'll have the tranny out, I might as well look into the cost to have the Quaife installed. I just got off of the phone and was shocked to find out I've been quoted a minimum of $702 (9 hours labor) for installation. Folks, that's without having them remove and install the tranny in my car.

My question is, have any of you done this job yourself? I'd appreciate
knowing if this is something that can be done in a garage, or if you know
someone in the SF Bay Area that is more reasonable.

Thanks -- Craig Williams
1981 SciroccoS 1.8 16V (soon to be 2.0+)
1987 Jetta GLI 16V (Daily Driver)
1991 Passat Wagon 2.0 16V (For the Wife)