Re: alternator bearings...

At 04:25 PM 02/10/2000 -0500, DNK006@aol.com wrote:
>Can the BOSCH alternator be rebuilt at home?  My mom's alt. needs bearings
>bad!  I would love to save her some money by simply replacing these naughty
>bearings, instead of a $200 alternator
>Thanks
>Ben

If you can get the new bearings and have a press, sure.  I usually take
mine to an alternator shop.  The small shops are quick(an afternoon or so)
and take the whole thing apart,  bead blast the case and pulley, repaint
the pulley, replace worn/damaged stuff and reassemble.  The last time I had
one done it was $25(but they didn't replace anything-it needed abroken ear
on the mount welded back on).

John Worden
Wayne, Maine
ICQ 1527476
'81 MkI w/2.0 16V (waiting for the spring)
'86 MkII 8V  (also waiting for the spring)
'98 Dodge Dakota 4x4