----Original Message Follows----
From: archive@porknet.fdns.net

My distributor has been leaking oil for some time. Realizing that this was
most likely an ignition related problem, I splurged and bought a new cap
and rotor and installed them. Motor started and ran, but just as bad as
before. A test drive revealed that it had a bit more punch than before
(probably because the old rotor was missing the metal clip that keeps it
from rotating slightly! oops!), however, it was still missing.
The distributor has been filling my
engine compartment with oil, and the clip-in suppression shield that
slides onto the distributor shaft just before the rotor does is all chewed
up, don't know how that happened. I plan to check the hall sender
connector, although a p.o. lost the screw that holds the connector to the
distributor housing and its being held on with a zip-tie. I'm afraid to
touch it.