Re: Mk1 16v exhaust options

At 06:46 PM 02/08/2000 -0800, Dave Novak wrote:
>I'm realizing that I'll have to have some kind of exhaust system on my car
>when I do get it to start.

Very smart.  Due you have emissions testing (the exhaust type) down in CT?

>I already bought a 16v scirocco manifold with half a downpipe attached. I
>have most of my 8v exhaust still on the car.

You could probably splice them together, but it would be much better
performance wise to get the right exhaust; the 16V exhaust pipe diameter is
noticably larger.

>I need to know the most economical way I can get any kind of exhaust working
>on my car. I'm not even worried about performance at this point. This car
>will be a daily driver when it's finished, and I don't want anything that
>makes that stupid rice boy noise.

I got a techtonics aluminized steel set up from Potterman.  I bought a year
ago so I don't remember the rear half's cost but the front racing
downpipe(w/o cat) was like $150.  I saved so much by going catless it paid
for the rear half too, as opposed to the $400 for the downpipe with cat.
The downpipe I got does NOT have the flex coupling so you would want the
stiffer from and rear motor mounts(a good idea anyway)

>I'll first consider a way to patch together what I have.. as in if I can get
>a stock 16v scirocco downpipe which would connect to my current cat? I need
>a spot for my O2 sensor, as well.

The diameter of your current cat's pipe should be smaller than the 16V's
pipe.  Adapting them will just restrict the flow and reduce power.  If you
get a new downpipe it will have  aplace to attach the O2 sensor, if not
techtonics sells a nut that you can have welded to you pipe to screw it
into, drill a hole there first, of course.

Any luck getting her running?

John Worden
Wayne, Maine
ICQ 1527476
'81 MkI w/2.0 16V (waiting for the spring)
'86 MkII 8V  (also waiting for the spring)
'98 Dodge Dakota 4x4