Shock and spring questions

Yes, once again I have a question that has been answered many times, but
since I never needed to know, I never paid attention...

I need to replace my shocks, and while I'm at it, I figure I may as well
do the springs, too (they're kind of old).  I'd love to get Bilsteins,
but they're a bit pricey for me.  I was thinking of the Boge Progas.  Any
thoughts?  Also, while surfing around, I noticed that the Rapid Parts
website recommended only using the Progas shocks with stock height
springs (something about how the shocks have a variable compression
stiffness).  Does anyone know anything about this?

Also, I was looking at either Neuspeed or H&R springs, which I remember
seem to be generally accepted by all.  I have noticed Neuspeed has their
"normal" lowering springs and the "race" springs for a bit more.  Any
advantages here?  I autocross the car, and certainly don't mind a stiff
ride.  But I don't want anything too stiff because I do occasional
Driver's Schools at Summit Point, which is very bumpy and cars with very
stiff suspensions don't do too well.

Thanks for any help,
B.

'82 Scirocco (a.k.a. "Fritz")