Re: 2.4L 90 Passat and 2.0 question

At 08:28 PM 02/05/2000 -0500, David Brown wrote:
>Does the change to 2.0 from 1.8 16v involve any changes other than block
>swap stuff? Is the 2.0 and 1.8 the same outside dimensions. (ie. use the
>same motor mounts etc.). What about flywheel hookup?

You need a the block.  All your Scirocco stuff(mounts, clutch assembly,
etc) will bolt up fine.  I would recommend new motor mounts since the motor
is out anyway and new crankshaft gaskets too.  The only thing I can think
of that you must have would be a headgasket, timing belt and tensioner.

>How hard is the swap?

Easy if you know what you are doing and have a Bentley.

>What about this 2.4 4cyl out of 90 Passat? Is it interchangable?

'90 Passat had a 2.0 16V.  That's where a lot of us got our 2.0 blocks.

>What is a VW short and Long block?

Short block is just the block.  Long block includes the head.

>Thinking about the 1.8 to 2.0 swap as a future project.

Great idea!

>What's a 2.0L block run?

I've heard around $500 is average.  Hopefully you pay less of course.  Mine
cost $300.

>Thanks for any info.
>David

No problem

John Worden
Wayne, Maine

'81 MkI w/2.0 16V (waiting for the spring)
'86 MkII 8V  (also waiting for the spring)
'98 Dodge Dakota 4x4